Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Constant Companion

People come and go. Things happen or do not happen. But what I'm beginning to realize in this life of inconsistencies is that there is always something constant, a companion of sorts that is there whether or not you want it to be. Stress.

Maybe it's just the mood I'm in. It is 9:00 on a Sunday night. The weekend is coming to a close, procrastination is dominating, and there is a lot on my mind. At this moment in time, it feels as if nothing is right, even though, in reality, lots is going right. I guess the few things that aren't completely perfect are taking over.

There's a conclusion I've come to recently, though - life is never going to be perfect. I can't count the number of times I've thought "Once this happens, then I will be able to relax". Yet here I am, still worrying on a new set of issues.

Perhaps it's life's way of teasing us. It'll give you this tidbit of happiness, let you enjoy it for a while, but as a side dish, there's a new set of worries to go along with it. Sort of like saying, "Here's some cake, but be sure not to eat it all!" The hidden cost on the contract.

Recently I've been thinking, while walking down the hallway at school, passing people in the street, or giving people their bags of baked goods at work, that every person I interact with could be the subject of a novel. Every one of us has our own story, our own set of troubles. We are all complex. Certain things in our lives are going well, other parts are not. Nobody's life is perfect.

Reminds me of a quote from one of my favourite movies, About A Boy:

"The thing is, a person's life is like a TV show. I was the star of The Will Show. And The Will Show wasn't an ensemble drama. Guests came and went, but I was the regular. It came down to me and me alone. If Marcus' mum couldn't manage her own show, if her ratings were falling, it was sad, but that was her problem."

We're all our own shows, but once in a while, we're on the same channel.

1 comment:

  1. I love this, Dahlia! You are spot on about the fact that we are each capable of being the characters of a novel--we just need the right storytellers to act as the vehicles. That's your job. And mine.

    ReplyDelete