Saturday, April 3, 2010

Pet Peeves

We were talking recently in my Writer's Craft class about what inanimate objects, tendencies, preferences, dislikes, etc, can say about a person. I never used to think those things indicative of what people are like, but I'm beginning to think that they are indeed pretty significant in their own ways.

Though I used to think that the term "pet peeve" literally meant something that annoyed you about your pet (it used to puzzle me exceedingly when somebody asked petless-me about my pet peeves), I have since realized that I have a great many of my own, and I'm wondering what they say about me. So that's why out of the blue, I have decided to list things that annoy me:

1. Typos in published work. As someone obsessed with correct grammar and spelling, it pains me to see mistakes in either. But to see such things in PUBLISHED work... *cringe*.
2. People who read the last page or last chapter of a book first before reading the book. What is the point of reading it after that?!
3. Excessive webspeak. I tink u noe wat im talkin bout. I do understand convenience, I do, but I think this takes it a little too far.
4. Blackboards that have been erased, but not fully. Those little bits of words that remain... once again, *cringe*!
5. Artists appearing more than once on iPods, because there are slight differences in spelling between them. Anybody who has an iPod knows what I'm talking about!
6. Titles with unnecessary exclamation points in them, ie. "The Theory of Relativity!" Are you yelling at me? Or are you genuinely that excited to talk about The Theory of Relativity?

So, what do these say about me? Perhaps that I am quite the perfectionist? I'm obsessed with spelling and grammar? Not too far from the truth!

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with your "peeves", Dahlia--except the one about the chalkboard. You try erasing those things--it's near impossible! Seriously! That is your job from now on at the end of class--you'll see exactly what I mean.

    ReplyDelete