Saturday, April 24, 2010

Alright, I'll admit it...

The first step to recovering from an addiction is admitting you have an addiction, right?

Right. Okay. Well, here goes...

I am legitimately addicted to HBO's "In Treatment".

For anyone who hasn't heard of this show, first of all YOU MUST WATCH THIS SHOW. Second of all, well... I guess I should explain its premise in case you still aren't convinced.

It's a show any aspiring writer should watch. Basically, it follows the life of a therapist, Paul, through a regular work week. We learn about four of Paul's patients, as well as get a glimpse of Paul as a patient when he sees his therapist once a week.

What's so incredible about this show is that each episode is solely a therapy session and yet the characters are round and believable. Sometimes we get little tidbits of the characters' lives outside the session, but mostly we learn about these people through what they say. What's also incredible is that this show is never boring, no matter how dull that description just sounded. I've always wondered what seeing a therapist would be like, and while I know that this is probably a glamorized and exaggerated version of what real therapy would be like, I find it so interesting to observe the relationship between therapist and patient. It's made me realize that everybody could benefit from therapy. It's also made me realize that I would be very scared to ever enter therapy, ha. Everything you say and do is analyzed. You are analyzed.

My mom's friend lent us the first season of this show, and I have to say I am so grateful I did not start watching it on TV. There are nine discs and I've already gotten through five, and it's only been about a week and a half! In my defense the episodes are short, around half an hour each...

1 comment:

  1. I think ALL HBO shows are addictive: Six Feet Under, Entourage, How to Make it in America, Less than Kind, United States of Tara. Let's just say we leave the house far less often since getting HBO.

    Most recently we have started watching Gravity, which is about a suicide support group and, similar to In Treatment, follows a few individuals as they go through their lives trying to ignore their constant desire to just end it all. It just started two weeks ago and we're already hooked.

    Everyone is addicted to something or other: for some it's cigarettes, for others shopping, or drama, or eating fast food, or biting their fingernails. Just be thankful yours includes quality writing and a comfy couch!

    ReplyDelete