Thursday, February 25, 2010

It's a Beautiful Day (And I'm not referring to U2!)

I can't remember the first day the Beautiful Day Man came into the bakery, but its regular occurrence has since become something I expect every day I work.

Let me explain. Some people like routines - this I know from working at a place where people come to treat themselves! And I am definitely the same way, so I do not blame them.

I guess what makes the Beautiful Day Man different is what exactly his routine consists of. I myself find it funny, but the fact that some people at work get pretty angered by it makes it even funnier. There is a girl I work with who gets angered by the sight of this man, literally. She'll often disappear into the back room conveniently when he walks in.

The Beautiful Day Man, upon entering, always starts his order by saying "Beautiful Day". I remember quite a few times hearing this greeting and looking outside to see a downpour of rain. This doesn't seem to affect him, though! Next, he always orders some combination of raisin tea biscuits and raisin cinnamon buns, in a plastic bag, it should be noted. ("WHY the plastic bag, WHY?!" my co-worker has often complained to me.) Once or twice I have seen him add a cake to the described routine and been quite shocked, but usually two tea biscuits and one raisin cinnamon bun satisfies him.

The more I think about the Beautiful Day Man, the more I admire him. How it is possible to have such a positive outlook on life all the time is, to me, inspiring. Why shouldn't rain be considered beautiful? Why should it have the ability to dampen your mood? I respect also in the Beautiful Day Man that he realizes that an outing to the bakery should be fun and done for joy, as apparently so few customers I deal with have realized. Never have I seen the Beautiful Day Man lose his temper or declare the day to be anything other less than beautiful. Never does he seem to get tired of his treat to himself. He seems to be just a happy man, one who embraces U2's motto: "It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8w7f0ShtIM

No comments:

Post a Comment